Canyon Sled Dog Challenge
18 mile Mid Distance Race, February 24, 2018
- Start: Marsh Creek Access Rail Trail
1551 Marsh Creek Road, Wellsboro, PA 16901 (Ansonia PA)
- Turnaround: Tiadaghton (inaccessible except for race personnel)
- 8 Dog: Pro & Registered Breed
- 6 Dog: Pro & Registered Breed
Purse: $750 minimum
Entry Fee: $65
- Pine Creek Rail Trail
- Wide groomed rails to trails in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Out and back with a small tear drop loop turnaround at the mid distance point.
- Downgrade out, upgrade return, 2% max grade.
- Trail help will be available at the turn around but otherwise the trail is inaccessible to help, handlers or spectators beyond the start/finish chute and spectators area.
- Trail Links - Pine Creek Rail Trail
- January 2018, Registration Opens
- February 21, 2018, 5:00PM - Registration Closes
- February 21, 2018, 5:00PM - All Registered Breed Paperwork Deadline
- February 23, 2018 6:00-7:15PM - Meet the Mushers, open to the public. Dinner available to purchase. Location TBC.
- February 23. 2018 7:30PM - Driver's Meeting, Bib distribution, parking assignments (based on start order), trail report, rules summary, registered breed documentation check.
- February 24 2018 7:30AM - All drivers on site (parking assignments based on start order)
- February 24 2018 8:00AM - Mandatory Driver's Meeting, Bib distribution, trail report, rules summary, registered breed documentation check.
- February 24 2018 9:00AM - Start. 8 dog class followed by 6 dog class. 2 minute start intervals.
- February 24 2018 1:00PM - Award Ceremony, open to the public. Lunch available to purchase. Location TBC.
- Organizer: Mary Beth Logue
- Marshall: Dan Rehak
- Registrar: Mary Beth Logue
- Chief Timer: TBC
- Trail Boss: TBC
- Chute Judge: Johnn Molburg
- Registered Breed Official: Dan Rehak
Accommodations: Info on dog friendly accommodations forthcoming.
- Wellsboro Chamber of Commerce: http://www.wellsboropa.com/
Spectators: Spectators are welcome. Separate spectator parking will be available on a first-come basis at the Darling Run Access Area. Limited spectator parking. No spectator parking in the start area. Spectator's dogs not permitted anywhere.
Rules: Rules forthcoming, including minimum size of team in harness at start and finish, required equipment (snub, snow hook, dog bag, booties), etc.
Registered Breed Group: Open to Northern Breed dogs: Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute or Samoyed. Formal AKC/CKC/… breed registration (no IPL dogs). Dog info must be submitted prior to registration deadline. Breed registration paperwork must be presented for all dogs before the race. Dogs previously entered into the PSDC RB list do not need to be reentered.